Pinto Bean Stew Recipe
"This thick, hearty stew is chock-full of beans and vegetables and makes a wonderful supper on cold winter days," relates Gina Passantino of Arlington, Virginia. "I sometimes serve it over rice for a fun change of pace. It also freezes well."
- 1 cup dried pinto beans
- 2 cups cold water
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 to 3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place the beans in a large saucepan; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to the pan; add the cold water, carrot, garlic, chili powder, salt and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until beans are almost tender.
- In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute the corn, onion and green pepper until tender. Add to the bean mixture. Cover and cook for 45 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, vinegar and sugar. Cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Pinto Bean Stew in Light & Tasty December/January 2002, p19
Reviews for Pinto Bean Stew(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 12, 2012
Very good meatless stew! Has a real good flavor. Will definitely make again.
More Recipe Collections
- Bean Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Side Dishes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Diabetic Stew Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Stew Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Low Fat Stew Recipes >
- Mexican Dinners >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Side Dishes >