Pinto Bean Stew Recipe
- 1 cup dried pinto beans
- 2 cups cold water
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 to 3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1. Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place the beans in a large saucepan; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- 2. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to the pan; add the cold water, carrot, garlic, chili powder, salt and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until beans are almost tender.
- 3. In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute the corn, onion and green pepper until tender. Add to the bean mixture. Cover and cook for 45 minutes.
- 4. Stir in the tomatoes, vinegar and sugar. Cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup equals 214 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 309 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Pinto Bean Stew
"Very good meatless stew! Has a real good flavor. Will definitely make again."