Pinto Bean Pie Recipe
Gammy (as my mom, Barbara Galloway, is known around here) loves to cook and be creative. It's a trait that was passed down from her father. Pinto Bean Pie is one of her favorite recipes to make, especially when she's planning special holiday meals. If you'd like to dress up each slice, top them with a dollop of whipped cream and a pecan. —Valerie Elijah, Dayton, Ohio
- 1/2 cup canned pinto beans, rinsed, drained and mashed
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Whipped topping, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the beans, butter and vanilla. Stir in the sugar and coconut. Add eggs; stir well. Pour into crust. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- 2. Sprinkle with pecans; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean but moist. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with whipped topping if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 422 calories, 23 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 79 mg cholesterol, 229 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC