Pink Peppermint Cookies Recipe
The combination of cool peppermint and chocolate makes these treats from Renee Schwebach of Dumont, Minnesota nearly irresistible. Put the frosting mixture in a pastry bag and decorate the cookies with designs such as stars, snowflakes or Christmas trees, or words like "Joy" or "Noel".
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 5 min./batch + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 10 to 12 drops red food coloring
- 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
- 1. In a bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter and the sugar. Beat in egg, food coloring and peppermint extract. Combine 1-3/4 cups flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; add to creamed mixture. Shape into a ball. Cover and chill for 1-2 hours. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine chocolate syrup and remaining butter and flour; stir until well blended. Spoon into a pastry bag with a small round tip. Shape dough into 3/4-in. balls. Place on ungreased baking sheets; flatten into 1-1/2-in. circles. Pipe chocolate mixture on top of cookies in simple holiday designs. Bake at 375° for 5-7 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 127 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 131 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC