- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of three greased 8-in. round
- baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk the first five ingredients until blended. In a
- large bowl, cream butter, sugar and lemon peel until light and
- fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking
- soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk
- mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer batter to prepared pans. Bake 20-24 minutes or until a
- toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10
- minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter, cream cheese and lemon
- peel until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar and 1/3
- cup lemonade concentrate. If necessary, refrigerate until
- spreadable, up to 1 hour.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Brush 1 tablespoon lemonade
- concentrate over cake; spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Repeat layers.
- Top with remaining cake layer; brush remaining lemonade concentrate
- over top.
- Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
- Decorate with sprinkles. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12
For cupcakes: Make batter as directed; fill 24 paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 16-19 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Prepare frosting as directed, omitting 3 tablespoons lemonade concentrate for brushing layers; pipe or spread frosting over tops. Yield: 2 dozen cupcakes.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice (calculated without optional decorations) equals 732 calories, 39 g fat (24 g saturated fat), 172 mg cholesterol, 291 mg sodium, 91 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.