Pineapple Upside-Down Cupcakes Recipe
I have baked cupcakes for years since I served as a room mother for my three children. These easy-to-make, jumbo treats make an attractive dessert for special occasions or everyday. —Barbara Hahn, Park Hills, Missouri
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 small pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 12 maraschino cherries, well drained
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Whipped topping, optional
- 1. Line the bottom of 12 greased jumbo muffin cups with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat; stir in brown sugar and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat. Spoon 1 tablespoonful into each muffin cup; top each with a pineapple slice and a cherry.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until thickened and lemon-colored. Beat in the oil, sour cream and vanilla until smooth. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to egg mixture and mix well.
- 4. Fill muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto wire racks to cool completely. Garnish with whipped topping if desired. Yield: 1 dozen jumbo cupcakes.
1 serving (1 each) equals 602 calories, 29 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 264 mg sodium, 82 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC