Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Recipe
Anne Polhemus of North Merrick, New York doles out slices of this sunny-colored dessert while it's still warm from the oven. The moist cake gets fruity flavor from crushed pineapple and lemon gelatin.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 1 package (.3 ounce) sugar-free lemon gelatin
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1. Drain pineapple, reserving 1/3 cup juice (discard or save remaining juice for another use). Line a 9-in. round baking pan with waxed paper; coat with cooking spray. Spread pineapple over waxed paper; sprinkle with gelatin.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat egg substitute and egg white. Beat in the sugar, reserved pineapple juice and vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; add to egg mixture and mix well. Pour over gelatin.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes; invert onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 10 servings.
1 slice equals 139 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 95 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC