Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Anne Polhemus of North Merrick, New York doles out slices of this sunny-colored dessert while it's still warm from the oven. The moist cake gets fruity flavor from crushed pineapple and lemon gelatin.
10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 1 package (.3 ounce) sugar-free lemon gelatin
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1/3 cup juice (discard or save remaining
- juice for another use). Line a 9-in. round baking pan with waxed
- paper; coat with cooking spray. Spread pineapple over waxed paper;
- sprinkle with gelatin.
- In a large bowl, beat egg substitute and egg white. Beat in the
- sugar, reserved pineapple juice and vanilla. Combine flour and
- baking powder; add to egg mixture and mix well. Pour over gelatin.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes; invert onto a
- serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 139 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 95 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber,