From Weirton, West Virginia, Maida Knox offers this tasty twist on an old favorite. She mixes crushed pineapple and applesauce into tuna salad for a delectable treat that’s perfect at lunch.
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free herb seasoning blend
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) light water-packed tuna, drained and flaked
- 8 slices Italian bread
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 lettuce leaves
- In a small bowl, combine the applesauce and mayonnaise. Stir in the celery, green pepper, pineapple, onion, seasoning blend, garlic powder and pepper. Add tuna; mix well. Spread over four slices of bread; top with tomato, lettuce and remaining bread. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Pineapple-Tuna Salad Sandwiches in Light & Tasty April/May 2006, p53
Reviews for Pineapple-Tuna Salad Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 24, 2011
"I'm not a big tuna lover, but I love it made this way. Healthy and very yummy. It's a keeper."