Pineapple-Stuffed Cornish Hens Recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 3 cups cubed day-old bread (1/2-inch cubes), crusts removed
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 2/3 cup butter, melted, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt inside hens; set aside. Drain pineapple, reserving juice. In a large bowl, combine the pineapple, bread cubes, celery and coconut. Add 1/3 cup butter; toss to coat. Loosely stuff hens with mixture.
- 2. Tuck wings under hens; tie legs together. Place on a rack in a greased shallow roasting pan. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 1-1/2-cup baking dish; cover and set aside. Add poultry seasoning and remaining salt to remaining butter.
- 3. Spoon some butter mixture over hens. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes, basting twice with butter mixture.
- 4. Add steak sauce and reserved pineapple juice to any remaining butter mixture; baste hens. Bake reserved stuffing with hens for 30 minutes, basting hens occasionally with remaining butter mixture.
- 5. Uncover stuffing; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 185° for hens and 165° for stuffing in hens. Remove hens from pan; keep warm.
- 6. Pour drippings into a saucepan; skim fat. Combine cornstarch, brown sugar, water and lemon juice; add to the drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with hens and stuffing. Yield: 2 servings.
1 each: 1343 calories, 82g fat (48g saturated fat), 465mg cholesterol, 2034mg sodium, 80g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 4g fiber), 72g protein.
Reviews for Pineapple-Stuffed Cornish Hens
"I added extra celery and chicken seasoned stuffing crumbs instead of the plain bread cubes. It really was very delicious. I wanted to add this dish to my luau menu but this dish is probably to heavy for the summer, but it really was incredibly delicousI"
"This is actually my grandmother who submitted this recipe a few years ago...it was one of our family favorites!"
"The first time I made this is was absolutely delicious. The sauce that you make to serve with the Hens is so good it should be illegal. I loved this recipe so much in fact that I am making them again tonight and Im so excited to make them again...Everyone should try this recipe you will become so hook on the flavors"