Pineapple-Stuffed Cornish Hens Recipe
- 2 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 3 cups cubed day-old bread (1/2-inch cubes), crusts removed
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 2/3 cup butter melted, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Sprinkle inside of hens with 1/4 teaspoon salt; set aside. Drain pineapple, reserving juice. In a large bowl, combine the pineapple, bread cubes, celery and coconut. Add 6 tablespoons butter; toss to coat. Loosely stuff hens with mixture.
- Tuck wings under hens; tie legs together. Place on a rack in a greased shallow roasting pan. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 1-1/2-cup baking dish; cover and set aside. Add poultry seasoning and remaining salt to remaining butter.
- Spoon some butter mixture over hens. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes, basting twice with butter mixture.
- Stir steak sauce and reserved pineapple juice into remaining butter mixture; baste hens. Bake reserved stuffing with hens for 30 minutes, basting hens twice.
- Uncover stuffing; baste hens with the remaining butter mixture. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 185° for hens and 165° for stuffing in hens. Remove hens from pan; keep warm.
- Pour drippings into a saucepan; skim fat. Combine the cornstarch, brown sugar, water and lemon juice until smooth; add to the drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with hens and stuffing. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Pineapple-Stuffed Cornish Hens
Sort By :
I added extra celery and chicken seasoned stuffing crumbs instead of the plain bread cubes. It really was very delicious. I wanted to add this dish to my luau menu but this dish is probably to heavy for the summer, but it really was incredibly delicous
This is actually my grandmother who submitted this recipe a few years ago...it was one of our family favorites!
The first time I made this is was absolutely delicious. The sauce that you make to serve with the Hens is so good it should be illegal. I loved this recipe so much in fact that I am making them again tonight and Im so excited to make them again...Everyone should try this recipe you will become so hook on the flavors