My mother brought this recipe back with her from Hawaii about 25 years ago. The tender meat, pineapple-coconut stuffing and sweet-sour sauce made it a favorite of my family and friends. I keep copies of the recipe on hand to share. -Vicki Corners Rock Island, Illinois
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 3 cups cubed day-old bread (1/2-inch cubes), crusts removed
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 2/3 cup butter, melted, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt inside hens; set aside. Drain pineapple, reserving juice. In a large bowl, combine the pineapple, bread cubes, celery and coconut. Add 1/3 cup butter; toss to coat. Loosely stuff hens with mixture.
- Tuck wings under hens; tie legs together. Place on a rack in a greased shallow roasting pan. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 1-1/2-cup baking dish; cover and set aside. Add poultry seasoning and remaining salt to remaining butter.
- Spoon some butter mixture over hens. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes, basting twice with butter mixture.
- Add steak sauce and reserved pineapple juice to any remaining butter mixture; baste hens. Bake reserved stuffing with hens for 30 minutes, basting hens occasionally with remaining butter mixture.
- Uncover stuffing; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 185° for hens and 165° for stuffing in hens. Remove hens from pan; keep warm.
- Pour drippings into a saucepan; skim fat. Combine cornstarch, brown sugar, water and lemon juice; add to the drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with hens and stuffing. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Pineapple-Stuffed Cornish Hens in Taste of Home February/March 2004, p27
Reviews for Pineapple-Stuffed Cornish Hens
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review