Pineapple-Stuffed Cornish Hens Recipe
- 2 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 3 cups cubed day-old bread (1/2-inch cubes), crusts removed
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 2/3 cup butter melted, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Sprinkle inside of hens with 1/4 teaspoon salt; set aside. Drain pineapple, reserving juice. In a large bowl, combine the pineapple, bread cubes, celery and coconut. Add 6 tablespoons butter; toss to coat.
- Loosely stuff hens; tie legs together with kitchen string. Place on a rack in a greased shallow roasting pan. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 1-1/2-cup baking dish; cover and set aside. Add poultry seasoning and remaining salt to remaining butter.
- Spoon some butter mixture over hens. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes, basting twice with butter mixture.
- Stir steak sauce and reserved pineapple juice into remaining butter mixture; baste hens. Bake reserved stuffing with hens for 30 minutes; baste hens twice.
- Uncover stuffing; baste hens with remaining butter mixture. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 185° for hens and 165° for stuffing in hens.Remove hens from pan; keep warm.
- Pour drippings into a saucepan, skim fat. Combine the cornstarch, brown sugar, water and lemon juice until smooth; add to the drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with hens and stuffing. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Pineapple-Stuffed Cornish Hens(3)
Sort By :
This is actually my grandmother who submitted this recipe a few years ago...it was one of our family favorites!
The first time I made this is was absolutely delicious. The sauce that you make to serve with the Hens is so good it should be illegal. I loved this recipe so much in fact that I am making them again tonight and Im so excited to make them again...Everyone should try this recipe you will become so hook on the flavors