- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, undrained
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) reduced-fat whipped topping
- In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, oranges, egg whites and applesauce on low speed for 2 minutes. Pour into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a bowl, combine the pineapple and pudding mix. Fold in whipped topping just until blended. Spread over cake. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Yield: 15 servings.
Reviews for Pineapple Orange Cake
"My mother in law introduce the original version of this cake to me in 1974. And I have loved it every since I tasted it. I am only going to rate the original because I haven't tried the non reduce version yet."
"I made this cake for the first time this week and its so delicious and refreshing. The topping is almost like a creamy fruit salad. I, too, made a non-reduced version. I'd rather have a small piece of the real deal than a bigger piece of artificial sweeteners, fat free whatever, etc. So, the changes I made upon reading the reviews were: to the cake, I added a tsp. of orange extract, used three whole eggs (as called for on the cake mix box) instead of egg whites and used canola oil instead of applesauce.To the topping, I used regular instant pudding and regular frozen whipped topping."
"My family loved this dessert! I have now made it several times by special request. My only advice, to be sure to FOLD the whipped topping. The first time I didn't pay close attention and used a mix master. Came out runny but still tasted great. Thanks for sharing this new favorite for our family!"
"This is one of my families favorite cakes! Moist, delicious, and refreshing."
"My husband loves it, me too"