Pineapple Meringue Pie Recipe
One of my dad's favorite pastimes was making this pie. You never left his house without a pie or two to take home with you.—Lyn Benedict, Dexter, New Mexico
- 1 cup plus 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in pineapple until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Gradually stir 1 cup hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice. Keep warm.
- 2. For meringue, in a bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Pour hot filling into pastry shell. Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour; refrigerate for at least 3 hours before cutting. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 332 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 85 mg cholesterol, 162 mg sodium, 61 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC