Pineapple Meringue Pie Recipe
- 1 cup plus 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 3 Eggland's Best Eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- In a large saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in pineapple until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Gradually stir 1 cup hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice. Keep warm.
- For meringue, in a bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Pour hot filling into pastry shell. Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour; refrigerate for at least 3 hours before cutting. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Pineapple Meringue Pie(6)
Sort By :
I had this recipe from an old taste of home I had and somehow lost it! So glad I found the recipe on here again. I've made this recipe a few times just like it says, but one time I added a little coconut to the filling and it was SOOOOO yummy. So if you like coconut, try it. It gives you even more of a tropical taste. YUM!
I had never heard of pineapple pie until a friend mentioned fond memories of one from childhood. So, I had to look up a recipe to surprise her. She loved this and said it was perfect. This was so super easy to make, too, that I made another one for myself. This is quite delicious, though I will say that I think it is a tad too sweet for me and next time will cut the sugar in half in the pineapple mixture. Otherwise it is perfect and a great cool summer dessert.
ps: for those who are confused with cornstarch and cournflour; here's the good news. This works just fine when u add cornflour just the way the recipe calls for cornstartch; mixed with sugar and pineapple before starting to cook. I love this one!
Made this for my SIL's B'day surprise... and definitely this is going to be my special dessert for every special occasion! Had so much fun making it; and tasting the pineapple filling every five minutes ;) everyone raved about it! Thank you thank you thank you soooooo much for this one!
MY DAD ALSO REQUESTED A SPECIAL PIE FOR HIS BIRTHDAY (3-20) SO I MADE HIS FAVORATE PINEAPPLE PIE. THIS WAS THE BEST HE EVER HAD AND I AM ALREADY MAKING A SECOND ONE FOR HIM.