Pineapple Meringue Cake Recipe
This was my grandmother's favorite recipe, made only for special occasions. I can remember watching her cook. She never measured anything and her food was always great, but I think she had to be a little more exact with this cake. -Carol Forbes, Norwalk, Connecticut
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:10-12 servings
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1. In a small bowl, cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Spread batter over the bottom of two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans (batter will be about 1/4 in. thick); set aside.
- 2. In another large bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread meringue evenly over batter; sprinkle with walnuts.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool in pans for 5 minutes; loosen edges of cakes from pans with a knife. Using two large spatulas, carefully remove cakes from pans; cool completely, meringue side up, on wire racks.
- 4. In a small bowl, beat cream and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Fold in pineapple. Transfer one cake layer to a serving plate, meringue side up. Carefully spread filling over meringue; top with the remaining cake layer. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 331 calories, 21 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 119 mg cholesterol, 191 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC