Pineapple Layer Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- SEVEN-MINUTE FROSTING:
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks and egg, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- 3. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Add pineapple to pan. Add water to juice to measure 3/4 cup; pour into pan and mix well. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add butter and lemon juice. Cool completely.
- 4. For frosting, in a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, egg whites, water and cream of tartar over low heat. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches 160°, about 8-10 minutes.
- 5. Pour into a large bowl; add vanilla. Beat on high until frosting forms stiff peaks, about 7 minutes; set frosting aside.
- 6. Set aside a third of the filling. Spread remaining filling between cake layers. Spread reserved filling in a 4-in. circle in the center of top layer. Frost the sides of cake and around the filling on top. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 476 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 418mg sodium, 90g carbohydrate (63g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Pineapple Layer Cake
"Unfortunately, the cake and filling did not work for me at all. The batter was runny. I have two cakes that did not rise at all. The filling is not much better. The cornstarch left a very chalky taste and the salt is very prominent, even after doubling the sugar. Perhaps I will try it again with my vanilla cake or pound cake recipe and substitute a flour slurry for the cornstarch and salt."
"This cake is delicious and reminds me of one my Mother made when I was younger."