Pineapple Layer Cake Recipe
"My mother had a large family to care for and not a lot of spare time for fixing fancy desserts. But somehow she regularly found a way to bake this cake for us," recalls Debbie Norling of Harris, Minnesota. "These days, I make it for Mom, as well as my family. It's still a treat!"
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- SEVEN-MINUTE FROSTING:
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks and egg, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- 3. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Add pineapple to pan. Add water to juice to measure 3/4 cup; pour into pan and mix well. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add butter and lemon juice. Cool completely.
- 4. For frosting, in a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, egg whites, water and cream of tartar over low heat. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches 160°, about 8-10 minutes.
- 5. Pour into a large bowl; add vanilla. Beat on high until frosting forms stiff peaks, about 7 minutes; set frosting aside.
- 6. Set aside a third of the filling. Spread remaining filling between cake layers. Spread reserved filling in a 4-in. circle in the center of top layer. Frost the sides of cake and around the filling on top. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 476 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 418 mg sodium, 90 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Pineapple Layer Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC