I "inherited" this recipe from the family that owned the building where I rented my first apartment. It's one of my favorites and very easy to prepare. It's great for company because you can mix the loaf in advance, then simply pour on the sauce before putting it in the oven...it's the sauce that makes it so good!
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup finely crushed saltines
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground fully cooked ham
- 1 pound ground fresh pork
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs; add milk, crackers and pepper. Add the ham and pork; mix well. Shape into a 9-in. x 4-in. loaf and place in a shallow baking dish; insert a meat thermometer. In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients; pour over loaf. Bake at 350° until thermometer registers 170°, about 1-1/2 hours, basting frequently. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Pineapple Ham Loaf in Country Extra March 1994, p49
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Pineapple Ham Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review