Pineapple Ham Balls
Cooking has been a big part of my life...I come from a family of eight, and my husband and I have five children, all grown now. I've made my ham balls for years. They're a great use for leftovers, especially if you're in a hurry.
Bob and I farmed for 30 years before our son took over. My farmer still owns two tractors...along with a lawn-cutting and acreage-tilling business!
4-5 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 3 cups ground fully cooked ham
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (20 ounces) sliced pineapple
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a bowl, combine ham, pork, bread crumbs, eggs and pepper and mix
- well. Chill. Form into 10 balls; set aside. Drain pineapple,
- reserving 1/2 cup of juice. Place juice in a saucepan with sugar,
- vinegar and dry mustard; cook and stir over low heat until sugar is
- dissolved. Arrange pineapple slices in the bottom of an ungreased
- 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Place a ham ball on each pineapple
- slice. Pour sugar mixture over all. Cover and bake at 350° for 1
- hour or until ham balls are thoroughly cooked. Yield: 4-5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 542 calories, 25 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 162 mg cholesterol, 1,199 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 27 g protein.