When I was stationed in Germany, my mother would often send these tropical-tasting cookies to me. The recipe is special because it came from my grandmother. Now my wife and daughter are carrying on the tradition.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the pineapple, walnuts and cherries.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 425° for 7-9 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 7 dozen.
Originally published as Pineapple Delights in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p42
Reviews for Pineapple Delights
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review