Pineapple Date Bread Recipe
"My family asked for a pineapple upside-down cake, but I didn't have all of the ingredients," remembers Phy Bresse of Lumberton, North Carolina. "Since I had a quick bread mix in the house, I came up with this easy version. It even won a blue ribbon at our county fair."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:9 servings
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced pineapple, drained
- 4 maraschino cherries
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (16.6 ounces) date quick bread mix
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon applesauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1. Sprinkle brown sugar into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Top with pineapple slices; place a cherry in the center of each pineapple slice. Dot with butter.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine quick bread mix and nuts. In another bowl, combine the water, eggs, applesauce and oil; stir into mix just until combined. Spoon over pineapple slices.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Immediately invert onto a serving plate. Cool for 15 minutes before cutting. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 330 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 246 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC