Pineapple Curry Chicken Recipe
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) unsweetened pineapple chunks, undrained
- 6 bone-in chicken breast halves, skin removed (12 ounces each)
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Hot cooked rice
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- Toasted flaked coconut, optional
- 1. Drain pineapple, reserving 3/4 cup juice. Place the chicken, beans, vegetables and pineapple in a 6-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine coconut milk and cornstarch until smooth. Stir in the sugar, curry powder, garlic, ginger, salt, pepper, lime juice, pepper flakes and reserved juice; pour over chicken.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender. Serve with rice; sprinkle with basil and, if desired, coconut. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (calculated without rice and coconut): 470 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 152mg cholesterol, 641mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 5g fiber), 59g protein.
Reviews for Pineapple Curry Chicken
"We very much enjoyed this dish and will be making again. Great flavor combinations with the chicken, red pepper, pineapple, garbanzo beans, coconut milk, curry, carrots. May add eggplant next time too! We did add a bit more salt and some cayenne pepper to the pot to kick it up a bit. Fantastic weekend meal, as it's a crockpot dish. But classy enough for guests! A keeper!"
"Very easy and flavorful. The chicken was very tender and had just the right sweetness. I had to sub out the chickpeas for white beans but it turned out perfect for a Friday supper."
"Curry and pineapple is a great mix. I changed it up a little for my own taste. slow cooker'd it. 1 onion, cup of mushroom sliced, half red pepper sliced thrown in the pan cooked down with coconut milk, blackened chicken put in slow cooker, pour veggies and coconut milk over chicken, add parsley, tsp coriander, tsp cumin, tsp nutmeg quarter cup curry powder, clove of garlic mashed then diced,salt pepper to taste. Cooked on high for 2 hours, browned pineapple in pan added it with fresh unbrowned pineapple. serve on rice noodle. Delicious"
"The next time I make this I will reduce the liquid - as it's consistency wasn't as thick as I like. I will also add more curry."
"I loved the blend of flavors. Delish!! and my kids ate it right up."
"Dish was just bland. It needed some salt, sweet or something just did not have much flavor."
"Very tasty and easy to make. I didn't have sweet red pepper so I omitted that. I also used ground ginger as I was out of fresh. Kids gobbled it up. Will definitely make again."
"I agree, a perfect mix of flavors! I put the pineapple and red pepper in about 30 minutes before serving because I like them a little more crisp. Topped with basil, toasted coconut, key lime juice and fresh julienned carrot. I also decreased the red pepper flakes for my preschool-aged kids, but my hubby and I added it to our dishes only. Absolutely fab!"
"Love the curry and pineapple!!"
"What a perfect mix of flavors - and so easy to prepare. Thank you for this recipe. Definitely a regular on my menu list. I omitted the red pepper flakes for the more delicate tastebuds in our house."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.