- or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in
- milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until
- thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes
- longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture
- into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to
- a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat;
- stir in butter and vanilla. Transfer to prepared pastry.
- For pineapple layer, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and
- cornstarch. Stir in water until smooth. Add pineapple. Bring to a
- boil over medium-high heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter. Gently spread over
- cream mixture.
- For meringue, in a large bowl, beat the egg whites, vanilla and cream
- of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in
- sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- Spread over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire
- rack for 1 hour; refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving. Yield: 8
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 416 calories, 16 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 101 mg cholesterol, 343 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.