Pineapple and green chilies flavor this salad from Margaret Pache. "I used to make this with rice, then decided to try couscous for something different," explains the Mesa, Arizona cook.
Recommended: 30 Healthy Dinner Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4-1/2 cups baby spinach
- In a small saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in couscous. Cover and remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. In a large bowl, combine the couscous, pineapple, chilies, pecans, onions, oil, mint and garlic; toss to coat. Refrigerate until chilled. Serve over spinach. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Pineapple Couscous Salad in Quick Cooking May/June 2004, p41