Pineapple Cheese Braid Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- PINEAPPLE FILLING:
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ICING (optional):
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add butter, sugar, eggs, salt and 2 cups flour; beat on low speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 3. For pineapple filling, combine the pineapple filling ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cook and stir until thickened. Cool. In a bowl, combine cream cheese filling ingredients; mix well.
- 4. Punch dough down. Divide dough in half. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 15-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Place on greased baking sheets. Spread the cream cheese filling lengthwise down center third of each rectangle. Spread the pineapple filling on top.
- 5. On each long side, cut 1-in. wide strips 3 in. into center. Starting at one end, fold alternately strips at an angle across filling. Seal ends. Cover and let rise for 20 minutes.
- 6. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. If desired, combine icing ingredients and drizzle over braids. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 185 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 90 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Pineapple Cheese Braid
"I make this Braid with Blueberry Pie filling and we Love it! Its hard to stop eating!"