Folks are always pleasantly surprised by this bread's pineapple filling. When in a hurry, I'll use canned pie filling.—Shirley Kensinger, Roaring Spring, Pennsylvania
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- PINEAPPLE FILLING:
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ICING (optional):
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add butter, sugar, eggs, salt and 2 cups flour; beat on low speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- For pineapple filling, combine the pineapple filling ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir until thickened. Cool. In a bowl, combine cream cheese filling ingredients; mix well.
- Punch dough down. Divide dough in half. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 15-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Place on greased baking sheets. Spread the cream cheese filling lengthwise down center third of each rectangle. Spread the pineapple filling on top.
- On each long side, cut 1-in. wide strips 3 in. into center. Starting at one end, fold alternately strips at an angle across filling. Seal ends. Cover and let rise for 20 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. If desired, combine icing ingredients and drizzle over braids. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 2 loaves.
Originally published as Pineapple Cheese Braid in Country Woman March/April 1998, p29
Reviews for Pineapple Cheese Braid
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 28, 2010
"I make this Braid with Blueberry Pie filling and we Love it! Its hard to stop eating!"
Reviewed Feb. 24, 2010