Pine Tree Cheese Melts Recipe
Want to branch out from traditional grilled cheese sandwiches? Make 'em festive with cute winter-themed cutters like pine trees or mittens. Try these with whole wheat bread and sourdough if it better suits your family's tastes. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 9 slices white bread
- 9 slices pumpernickel bread
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Butter, softened
- 1. Using a 3-1/2-in. cookie cutter, cut a shape in the center of each slice of bread; remove cutouts. Place a white bread cutout in each slice of pumpernickel. Place a pumpernickel cutout in each slice of white bread.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the cheese, mayonnaise, onions, basil and garlic powder. Spread over half of the bread slices; top with remaining bread. Butter outsides of sandwiches.
- 3. In a small skillet over medium heat, toast sandwiches on each side until golden brown and cheese is melted. Yield: 9 sandwiches.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC