- 9 slices white bread
- 9 slices pumpernickel bread
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Butter, softened
- Using a 3-1/2-in. cookie cutter, cut a shape in the center of each slice of bread; remove cutouts. Place a white bread cutout in each slice of pumpernickel. Place a pumpernickel cutout in each slice of white bread.
- In a large bowl, combine the cheese, mayonnaise, onions, basil and garlic powder. Spread over half of the bread slices; top with remaining bread. Butter outsides of sandwiches.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, toast sandwiches on each side until golden brown and cheese is melted. Yield: 9 sandwiches.
Reviews for Pine Tree Cheese Melts
Sort By :
"Although I haven't tried this yet, this is such a cute idea and a great alternative to a regular grilled cheese sandwich. Plan to make these along side some good soup this weekend. Looks like a winner!"
"This is a chidhood sanwhich in my family too, soooo good!"
"My Jewish husband has discribed his Grandmother making a very similar sandwich using Pumpernickel Rye bread but maybe not the cut-out. I could incorporate the cut-out, he'd like that."
"I am 64 years old and have been looking for this recipe nearly that long.LOL. Try it, you will like it. I had this as a child and never forgot the way it tasted......"