Pine Nut Snowballs
My great aunt Commie’s Russian tea cakes, along with pine nuts and Amaretto, inspired this recipe, which I whipped up for my blog cookiechronicles.com. —Christianna Gozzi, Astoria, NY
48 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup pine nuts, toasted and cooled
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Amaretto
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place pine nuts and 1/4 cup flour in a food
- processor. Pulse until pine nuts are finely chopped. In a large
- bowl, cream butter, 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar and salt until
- light and fluffy. Beat in amaretto. Gradually beat in remaining
- flour and pine nut mixture.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking
- sheets. Bake 6-8 minutes or until set. Cool on pans 2 minutes.
- Roll warm cookies in remaining confectioners' sugar. Cool on wire
- racks. When cooled, reroll cookies in confectioners' sugar. Yield: 4
Freeze option: Freeze undecorated cookies, layered between waxed paper, in freezer containers. To use, thaw before serving.