Pina Colada Molded Salad Recipe
An original recipe, my molded gelatin gets a tropical twist from coconut, pineapple, and macadamia nuts. It's a wonderful anytime treat. Now that I'm retired from teaching, I have more time for kitchen experiments. —Carol Gillespie, Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 cup cream of coconut
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3/4 cup lemon-lime soda
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- Pineapple chunks and freshly shredded coconut, optional
- 1. Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set the pineapple aside. In a large saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Cook and stir over low heat until gelatin is completely dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- 2. Remove from the heat; stir in the cream of coconut, sour cream, soda and reserved pineapple juice. Transfer to a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Fold in the flaked coconut, nuts and reserved pineapple. Pour into a 6-cup ring mold coated with cooking spray. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until firm.
- 4. To serve, unmold salad onto a platter. Fill the center with pineapple chunks and shredded coconut if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 331 calories, 20 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 82 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Pina Colada Molded Salad
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC