- 4-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, shortening, eggs, sugar, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes (dough will be sticky). Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Shape each into a roll. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Pillow-Soft Dinner Rolls(15)
Sort By :
I loved this recipe. It makes a nice, soft, and very tasty roll. My husband loved these, as did I.
down right easy for the lazy and the not so lazy
I followed the recipe, and because of its size, i was able to mix the dough in my stand mixer with a dough hook (saved my carpal tunnel from acting up!!!). They rise beautifully, smell amazing, and taste even better. thank you so much for sharing this recipe :) A+++++
soft as a pillow