Pillow-Soft Dinner Rolls Recipe
- 4-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, shortening, eggs, sugar, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes (dough will be sticky). Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Shape each into a roll. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 each: 184 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 164mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 starch, 1/2 fat
Reviews for Pillow-Soft Dinner Rolls
"I've never been successful making any kind of bread. I just thought I didn't have the knack for baking...Until I made these rolls. They came out deliciously perfect! Never thought I'd be so proud of a dinner roll. Pillow-Soft indeed. I will make these again...and again."
"Delicious! Nice soft rolls and easy to make. Will definitely make again."
"Always complimented love it"
"I loved this recipe. It makes a nice, soft, and very tasty roll. My husband loved these, as did I."
"down right easy for the lazy and the not so lazy"
"I followed the recipe, and because of its size, i was able to mix the dough in my stand mixer with a dough hook (saved my carpal tunnel from acting up!!!). They rise beautifully, smell amazing, and taste even better. thank you so much for sharing this recipe :) A+++++"
"soft as a pillow"
"Great, soft rolls...did not put butter on top but will next time!"
"A very easy recipe for a super delicious dinner roll. I wasn't surprised to find this recipe at TasteOfHome.com, but I was very happy I baked these dinner rolls up. They are so light and moist and work great the next day for cold cut sandwiches. I look forward to making this recipe for Thanksgiving this year. I'm sure I'll get quite a few ooh's and ah's for these. Thanks for the recipe."
"These pillow-soft dinner rolls have been a family favorite ever since i first made them a few weeks ago. I have recommended this recipe to everyone I know; they're easy to make and comes out pillow-soft every time."
"Made for Thanksgiving dinner and got raves from everyone. So light and they look beautiful."
"Easy recipe for a beginner and they come out so nice."
"I've made them twice and they turned out excellent both time! Recipe is a keeper for me. I even halved this recipe but left the sugar at 1/4 cup and made some pretty tasty cinnamon rolls!"
"They didn't turn out pillow-soft for me:("
"This dough is velvety smooth and amazing to work with. Delicious tasting rolls."
"Fabulous! I found this receipe in Nov and I have made it 12-15 times since them I love it!!!"
"FANTISTIC rolls with real home made flavor. I use my big mixer with the dough hook. I let it knead for 6 min. Have made them 6 or7 times and they have turned out great each time."