Pigskin Barbecue Recipe
- 1 bone-in pork shoulder butt roast (5 pounds), halved
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped sweet red or green pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 14 to 16 kaiser rolls, split
- 1. In a large Dutch oven, brown pork in oil on all sides; drain. Combine the water, tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, pepper sauce, chili powder, celery seed and salt; pour over roast. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- 2. Stir in onion and sweet pepper. Cover and simmer 30-45 minutes longer or until meat is tender. Remove roast. When cool enough to handle, shred meat with two forks; set aside.
- 3. Skim fat from pan juices. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually add to pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Return pork to pan and heat through. Serve on rolls. Yield: 14-16 servings.
1 each: 351 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 608mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein
Reviews for Pigskin Barbecue
"I used pork loins instead and put the whole thing in the crock pot and cooked it overnight on high. The meat was so tender it almost fell apart. I then lowered the temperature to low, pull the rest of the pork apart with a fork and let it simmer until dinner."
"I used appox. 1/4 cup of horseradish & only 1 tablespoon of the hot sauce. Ended up with a great taste. Just a little zing!!"