Pigskin Barbecue Recipe
I've taken these saucy sandwiches to potlucks and tailgate parties with our polo club...and served them at our own backyard picnics. They're simple to make and always draw rave reviews.—Bobbie Love, Kapaa, Hawaii
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 2 hours YIELD:14-16 servings
- 1 bone-in pork shoulder butt roast (5 pounds), halved
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped sweet red or green pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 14 to 16 kaiser rolls, split
- 1. In a large Dutch oven, brown pork in oil on all sides; drain. Combine the water, tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, pepper sauce, chili powder, celery seed and salt; pour over roast. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- 2. Stir in onion and sweet pepper. Cover and simmer 30-45 minutes longer or until meat is tender. Remove roast. When cool enough to handle, shred meat with two forks; set aside.
- 3. Skim fat from pan juices. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually add to pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Return pork to pan and heat through. Serve on rolls. Yield: 14-16 servings.
1 sandwich equals 351 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 608 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 23 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC