- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup milk
- 10 crushed Zwieback or Holland rusks (1-1/4 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-3/4 pounds ground beef
- 1-3/4 pounds bulk pork sausage
- Dijon mustard, optional
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder. Cut in shortening and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add milk, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough into three portions. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Meanwhile, for filling, in a large bowl, combine Zwieback crumbs, salt and pepper. Crumble beef and pork over mixture and mix well. Shape rounded tablespoonfuls of meat mixture into 3-in. logs; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a floured surface, knead one portion of dough 8-10 times. Roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness; cut with a floured 3-in. round cutter.
- Place one log in the center of each circle. Brush edges of dough with water; fold dough over filling and pinch edges to seal. Reroll scraps. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Place on greased racks in shallow baking pans. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Serve with mustard if desired. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Pigs in a Blanket in Taste of Home August/September 2008, p30
Reviews for Pigs in a Blanket with Homemade Pastry Dough
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 10, 2012
"I found them to have alot of flavor"
Reviewed Dec. 16, 2008 Edited Jul. 27, 2010
"The flaky dough is excellent -- instead of making the meat logs, I use three (10-link) packages of Brown & Serve turkey sausage from the freezer section. These are delicious!"