- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup milk
- 10 crushed Zwieback or Holland rusks (1-1/4 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-3/4 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1-3/4 pounds bulk pork sausage
- Dijon mustard, optional
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder. Cut in shortening and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add milk, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough into three portions. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Meanwhile, for filling, in a large bowl, combine Zwieback crumbs, salt and pepper. Crumble beef and pork over mixture and mix well. Shape rounded tablespoonfuls of meat mixture into 3-in. logs; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a floured surface, knead one portion of dough 8-10 times. Roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness; cut with a floured 3-in. round cutter.
- Place one log in the center of each circle. Brush edges of dough with water; fold dough over filling and pinch edges to seal. Reroll scraps. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Place on greased racks in shallow baking pans. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Serve with mustard if desired. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Pigs in a Blanket in Taste of Home August/September 2008, p30
Reviews for Pigs in a Blanket with Homemade Pastry Dough
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 10, 2012
"I found them to have alot of flavor"
Reviewed Dec. 16, 2008 Edited Jul. 27, 2010
"The flaky dough is excellent -- instead of making the meat logs, I use three (10-link) packages of Brown & Serve turkey sausage from the freezer section. These are delicious!"