Pigs in a Blanket with Homemade Dough Recipe
Pigs in a Blanket were a natural choice for serving at my farm animal them meal. I filled the hot dogs with cheese and wrapped them in a light dough to make them special. They are tasty, fun and handy to eat.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons shortening, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 10 hot dogs
- 2 slices process American cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in milk and water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the egg, shortening, salt, remaining sugar and enough flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Cut a 1/4-in.-deep lengthwise slit in each hot dog. Cut cheese slices into five strips; place one strip in a slit of each hot dog.
- 4. Punch dough down; divide into 10 portions. Roll each into a 5-in. x 2-1/2-in. rectangle and wrap around prepared hot dogs; pinch seam and ends to seal.
- 5. Place seam side down on greased baking sheets; let rise for 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 10 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC