Pigs in a Blanket with Homemade Dough
Pigs in a Blanket were a natural choice for serving at my farm animal them meal. I filled the hot dogs with cheese and wrapped them in a light dough to make them special. They are tasty, fun and handy to eat.
10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons shortening, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 10 hot dogs
- 2 slices process American cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in milk and
- water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the egg, shortening, salt,
- remaining sugar and enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Cut a 1/4-in.-deep lengthwise slit in each hot dog. Cut cheese slices
- into five strips; place one strip in a slit of each hot dog.
- Punch dough down; divide into 10 portions. Roll each into a 5-in. x
- 2-1/2-in. rectangle and wrap around prepared hot dogs; pinch seam