Pigs in a Blanket with Homemade Dough Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons shortening, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 10 hot dogs
- 2 slices process American cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in milk and water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the egg, shortening, salt, remaining sugar and enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Cut a 1/4-in.-deep lengthwise slit in each hot dog. Cut cheese slices into five strips; place one strip in a slit of each hot dog.
- Punch dough down; divide into 10 portions. Roll each into a 5-in. x 2-1/2-in. rectangle and wrap around prepared hot dogs; pinch seam and ends to seal.
- Place seam side down on greased baking sheets; let rise for 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Pigs in a Blanket with Homemade Dough
Sort By :
Loved this recipe. I made the dough on the dough cycle of my bread machine. Delicious bread, much better than store-bought hot dog buns!
My kids wouldn't eat pigs in a blanket until I made these. The bread is so soft & yummy!!! Definitely a keeper!
"I make this every year on Halloween, its our "mummy dog" recipe. Soooooo yummy!!! This year I think I might try a tiny bit of chili in some of them.
A brilliant recipe, especially if you are used to eat the store bought pre made pigs in a blanked. The recipe is extremely easy but wonderfully tasty and exiting! It's like a pre-made hot-dog in a bun!!!!!!
This is the only way I'll eat hot dogs. My whole family gives this recipe a huge two-thumbs up. You can't go wrong with this recipe!!!!!!!!!! :)