With sauerkraut, cabbage, onion and egg noodles, this dish has all the flavor of traditional pierogies but without all the work of making the dumplings. Just combine the ingredients in a skillet and let it simmer. I call it “lazy man’s pierogi.”
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and squeezed dry
- 1 small head cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, cook the bacon until almost crisp. Add onion; cook and stir until bacon is crisp and onion is tender. Drain. Add the sauerkraut, cabbage and pepper; mix well. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to package directions; drain. Stir the noodles, butter and salt into cabbage mixture. Cover and simmer 30 minutes longer. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Pierogi Skillet in Country April/May 2006, p51
Reviews for Pierogi Skillet
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review