With sauerkraut, cabbage, onion and egg noodles, this dish has all the flavor of traditional pierogies but without all the work of making the dumplings. Just combine the ingredients in a skillet and let it simmer. I call it “lazy man’s pierogi.”
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and squeezed dry
- 1 small head cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, cook the bacon until almost crisp.
- Add onion; cook and stir until bacon is crisp and onion is tender.
- Drain. Add the sauerkraut, cabbage and pepper; mix well. Cover and
- simmer for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to package directions; drain.
- Stir the noodles, butter and salt into cabbage mixture. Cover and
- simmer 30 minutes longer. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 178 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 888 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.