Pierogi Skillet Recipe
With sauerkraut, cabbage, onion and egg noodles, this dish has all the flavor of traditional pierogies but without all the work of making the dumplings. Just combine the ingredients in a skillet and let it simmer. I call it “lazy man’s pierogi.”
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and squeezed dry
- 1 small head cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1. In a large skillet or Dutch oven, cook the bacon until almost crisp. Add onion; cook and stir until bacon is crisp and onion is tender. Drain. Add the sauerkraut, cabbage and pepper; mix well. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to package directions; drain. Stir the noodles, butter and salt into cabbage mixture. Cover and simmer 30 minutes longer. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 178 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 888 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC