- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and squeezed dry
- 1 small head cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, cook the bacon until almost crisp. Add onion; cook and stir until bacon is crisp and onion is tender. Drain. Add the sauerkraut, cabbage and pepper; mix well. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to package directions; drain. Stir the noodles, butter and salt into cabbage mixture. Cover and simmer 30 minutes longer. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Pierogi Skillet
"I thought I might try this but am confused. It says to cook cabbage, etc. for 45 minutes. Since there is no liquid called for in this dish, what keeps the mixture from sticking and burning?"
"Wonderful. Great taste."
"I would cook up some pork chops with the bacon and onion, I also add some Caraway Seed to the sauerhraut, delicious. Don't use too many as is could alter the taste, start small and you can always add some more if needed. This is the way my mom cooked up this recipe and we loved it."
"THE WHOLE FAMILY LOVED THIS MEAL! I cut up pork chops and added those to add to the dish. I also bought a bag of the coleslaw mix to use in place of the head of cabbage, that way it was already shredded. REMEMBER: I thought it was silly when it said to let it simmer for so long, BUT ITS NOT...the longer you let it simmer with the noodles, the more flavor the noodles will absorb!! IT WAS FANTASTIC!! Probably my new favorite dish!"
"Not a real Polish dish and some flavors are more superior than others."