Pierogi Casserole Recipe
My husband never tries of this hearty casserole, no matter how many times I serve it. It's great for potlucks, too!—Margaret Popou, Kaslo, British Columbia
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing YIELD:12 servings
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese, drained
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 1. In a skillet, saute onion in butter until tender; set aside. In a bowl, combine cottage cheese, egg and onion salt. In another bowl, combine potatoes, cheddar cheese, salt and pepper. Place three noodles in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with cottage cheese mixture and three more noodles. Top with potato mixture, remaining noodles and sauteed onion. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 223 calories, 10 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 425 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC