- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- Dash pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Combine dressing ingredients in a blender; process until smooth. Pour over vegetables; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Stir before serving. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Picnic Slaw
"I recall making this coleslaw and I did adjust the recipe by adding: 2 finely cut celery ribs, 2 large carrots, peeled and shredded, 2 Tbsp. cider vinegar, 2 Tbsp. milk, 2 Tbsp. sugar, 1 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, 1 tsp. spicy brown mustard. I used about 1/3 cup Hellman's EITHER REGULAR OR LIGHT mayonnaise.However, I'm finding that it works best to use regular mayonnaise! I'd whisked the dressing ingredients together which I'd poured over the slaw. The sliced green onion I HAD omitted and had used a small yellow onion, BUT on the other hand, sliced green onion in the slaw DOES add more color and flavor!I ALSO DID omit the parsley! This slaw is a recipe which I definitely consider a keeper! Thank you for sharing this recipe!delowenstein"
"The buttermilk dressing was delicious!I let mine chill overnight."
"This may be the best cole slaw I've ever made. I used a bag of coleslaw mix. Also, I just mixed the dressing ingredients together (I did not use a blender). Wonderful!"
"Very delicious. Much better than ordinary coleslaw."
"This was excellent!"