"These make-ahead kabobs are a fun way to serve a chilled salad," says Iola Egle of McCook, Nebraska. A homemade vinaigrette complements the tender potatoes, crisp peppers, cherry tomatoes and sliced zucchini.
Recommended: Four Foolproof Memorial Day Menus
- 8 unpeeled small red potatoes
- 8 fresh pearl onions
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese, optional
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook for 10-13 minutes or until tender; drain. Place onions and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
- On metal or wooden skewers, alternately thread potatoes, onions, peppers, tomatoes and zucchini. Place in a large shallow plastic container or large resealable plastic bag.
- In a bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Pour over vegetable skewers. Marinate for at least 1 hour, turning frequently. Sprinkle with feta cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Picnic Salad Skewers in Quick Cooking July/August 2002, p53
Reviews for Picnic Salad Skewers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 8, 2010
"I substituted mushrooms for the potatoes. My husband said it was very good."