Picnic Potato Squares Salad
I'M ALWAYS on the lookout for new and unique recipes. Firm and cut into squares, this potato salad looks different than the usual ones, and the dill pickle gives it a unique flavor.
It also travels well and is pretty served on salad greens.
-Susan Furrow, Canterbury, New Brunswick
9 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 2-1/4 cups milk, divided
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups cubed red potatoes, cooked and cooled
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/3 cup chopped dill pickle
- 2 tablespoons diced onion
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- Place the gelatin and 1 cup of milk in a saucepan; let stand for 1
- minute. Cook and stir over low heat until gelatin is dissolved.
- Remove from the heat; stir in mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, salt,
- pepper and remaining milk until smooth. Chill until partially set.
- Fold in potatoes, carrot, celery, pickle and onion. Pour into an
- ungreased 8-in. square dish. Chill until firm. Cut into squares;
- serve on lettuce if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 261 calories, 22 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 394 mg sodium,