We love picnics here in the Midwest, and this pea salad is a perfect companion for fried chicken, hot dogs or hamburgers. I discovered this delicious recipe so long ago that I forgot where it came from.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup minced celery
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (15 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Saute green pepper, onion
- and celery. Add sugar, bay leaf, peas, tomatoes, half the tomato
- liquid, salt and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Remove
- to a bowl and sprinkle with bacon. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 137 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 548 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.