Picnic Peas Recipe
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup minced celery
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (15 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1. In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Saute green pepper, onion and celery. Add sugar, bay leaf, peas, tomatoes, half the tomato liquid, salt and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Remove to a bowl and sprinkle with bacon. Serve hot or at room temperature. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 137 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 548 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Picnic Peas
"This is a long-time favorite in my family and not just for picnics! We like it at room temperature best."