Picnic Chicken with Yogurt Dip Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1-1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried marjoram, thyme and rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 12 chicken drumsticks
- 12 bone-in chicken thighs
- CREAMY LEEK DIP:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 envelope leek soup mix
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Colby cheese
- In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs and water. In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and seasonings. Divide butter between two 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes.
- Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture, then coat with crumb mixture. Place in prepared pans. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 1 hour or until a meat thermometer reads 180°, turning once. Cool for 30 minutes; refrigerate until chilled.
- For dip, in a small bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. In another bowl, combine the yogurt, soup mix and cheese; fold in whipped cream. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Serve with cold chicken. Yield: 24 servings (4 cups dip).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Picnic Chicken with Yogurt Dip
Sort By :
Delicious chicken! I made this for my dad's birthday and everyone liked it. By the way, it was good both with and without the dip.
Didn't have marjoram so we just used poultry seasoning for the 1/2 teaspoons as it includes thyme, rosemary and marjoram plus a little extra. I usually bake with skinless bone-in chicken thighs so I was excited not to waste time at the cutting board..but I hated the skin being on. The crunch factor felt pointless with a gooey skin layer underneath. And wow were these things drowning in butter. I couldn't bring myself to eat the leftovers. For that much fat, the recipe better be delicious but the flavor to me was nothing special. My husband much prefers the seasoning on these: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/key-lime-chicken-thighs (I skip the rosemary).
Do I use plain or Italian Bread crumbs?
Finally a crispy baked chicken recipe and tasty too! Removed the skin and baked for 45 minutes. None left to serve cold! Didn't make the dip and didn't miss it. Great for Sunday dinner too..
This recipe was WONDERFUL! Almost like Ky. Fried chicken. I used Panko bread crumbs and added some extra spices like cayenne pepper, parmesan cheese, and a little cumin. Mmmm. Delicious! I melted the butter in the pan and put the chicken in it and put it in the fridge for a couple of hours before baking and it turned out perfectly. I lowered the baking time to 45 minutes and the chicken was juicy and moist and the flavor was great!