- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1-1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried marjoram, thyme and rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 12 chicken drumsticks
- 12 bone-in chicken thighs
- CREAMY LEEK DIP:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 envelope leek soup mix
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Colby cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs and water. In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and seasonings. Divide butter between two 13x9-in. baking dishes.
- Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture, then coat with crumb mixture. Place in prepared pans. Bake, uncovered, 1 hour or until a thermometer reads 170°-175°, turning once. Cool 30 minutes; refrigerate until chilled.
- For dip, in a small bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. In another bowl, combine yogurt, soup mix and cheese; fold in whipped cream. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Serve with cold chicken. Yield: 24 servings (4 cups dip).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Picnic Chicken with Yogurt Dip
"Wonderful Recipe :)"
"Delicious chicken! I made this for my dad's birthday and everyone liked it. By the way, it was good both with and without the dip."
"Didn't have marjoram so we just used poultry seasoning for the 1/2 teaspoons as it includes thyme, rosemary and marjoram plus a little extra. I usually bake with skinless bone-in chicken thighs so I was excited not to waste time at the cutting board..but I hated the skin being on. The crunch factor felt pointless with a gooey skin layer underneath. And wow were these things drowning in butter. I couldn't bring myself to eat the leftovers. For that much fat, the recipe better be delicious but the flavor to me was nothing special. My husband much prefers the seasoning on these: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/key-lime-chicken-thighs (I skip the rosemary)."
"Do I use plain or Italian bread crumbs?"
"This recipe was WONDERFUL! Almost like Ky. Fried chicken. I used Panko bread crumbs and added some extra spices like cayenne pepper, parmesan cheese, and a little cumin. Mmmm. Delicious! I melted the butter in the pan and put the chicken in it and put it in the fridge for a couple of hours before baking and it turned out perfectly. I lowered the baking time to 45 minutes and the chicken was juicy and moist and the flavor was great!"
"It was very good, i did make a few changes thou, I removed the skin and instead of dipping it in eggs and the water mixture I used mayonaise to coat the chicken then i rolled in in the crumb mixture. Instead of the dip that it calls for I used Ranch Dressing, and yes it was much better cold!"
"The chicken is fantastic but the sauce really makes this a pleasing dish!"
"It was so moist the favor was so DELISH !!! I am an Elderly and I hve been cooking for 60 years and l know my chicken l say to you out there you must try this Recipe !!! auntbea ( North East, Maryland )"