You can make the berry sauce ahead of time and chill. Then assemble the entire dessert a couple of hours before the picnic or party. —Frieda Bliesner, McAllen, Texas
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 2 individual round sponge cakes
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Whipped topping, optional
- In a small saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water. Add 1 cup strawberries; mash mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in lime peel. Transfer to a small bowl; refrigerate, covered, until chilled.
- Cut sponge cakes crosswise in half; trim each to fit in bottoms of four wide-mouth half-pint canning jars. In a small bowl, mix blueberries and remaining strawberries; spoon over cakes. Top with sauce. If desired, serve with whipped topping. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Picnic Berry Shortcakes in Healthy Cooking June/July 2012, p45
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Picnic Berry Shortcakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review