- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 2 individual round sponge cakes
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water. Add 1 cup strawberries; mash mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in lime peel. Transfer to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Cut sponge cakes in half widthwise; trim each to fit in the bottom of four wide-mouth half-pint canning jars. Combine blueberries and remaining strawberries; spoon over cakes. Top with sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Picnic Berry Shortcakes
Sort By :
Had company over for grilling with a picnic theme. I made this with a combo of strawberries, blueberries and raspberries. I did use my own shortcake recipe. They looked so cute in the jars. Will definitely be making this again.
I made the sauce its very simple and tastes good. I used the recipe with mangos & strawberries & black berries.. I think its versatile and we can use any type of fruit we want. I also made my own sponge cake. I think it looks so cute in the picture using jelly jars and I can't wait to try serving them on the 4th of July like this. Thank you.
Amazing, super good for picnics. Didn't follow the recipe exactly; made my own sponge cakes, and added raspberries to the sauce. Didn't put them in jars, but found another way. I'll definitely make this again.
Excellent sauce. I made my own shortcake recipe. Didn't put in jars. This is a keeper.
I only used 1 cup blueberries and used 1 sponge cake per person. Added fat free cool whip. Came out to 188 calories. My family loved it!