Picnic Berry Shortcakes Recipe
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 2 individual round sponge cakes
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Whipped topping, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water. Add 1 cup strawberries; mash mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in lime peel. Transfer to a small bowl; refrigerate, covered, until chilled.
- 2. Cut sponge cakes crosswise in half; trim each to fit in bottoms of four wide-mouth half-pint canning jars. In a small bowl, mix blueberries and remaining strawberries; spoon over cakes. Top with sauce. If desired, serve with whipped topping. Yield: 4 servings.
1 dessert (calculated without whipped topping) equals 124 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 67 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.