Picnic Berry Shortcakes
You can make the berry sauce ahead of time and chill. Then assemble the entire dessert a couple of hours before the picnic or party. —Frieda Bliesner, McAllen, Texas
4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 2 individual round sponge cakes
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water. Add
- 1 cup strawberries; mash mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for
- 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in lime
- peel. Transfer to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Cut sponge cakes in half widthwise; trim each to fit in the bottom of
- four wide-mouth half-pint canning jars. Combine blueberries and
- remaining strawberries; spoon over cakes. Top with sauce.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 dessert equals 124 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 67 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit.