Picnic Bean Casserole Recipe
Smoked bacon adds zest to this bean bake, a recipe I got from my mother. I must confess that lima beans have never been among my favorite foods. But I actually like them in this casserole, and their color brightens up the mixture. -Jill Evely, Wilmore, Kentucky
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) lima or butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the beans, onion, brown sugar and ketchup. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with bacon. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Uncover; bake 30 minutes longer. Yield: 10 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 177 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 529 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC