Smoked bacon adds zest to this bean bake, a recipe I got from my mother. I must confess that lima beans have never been among my favorite foods. But I actually like them in this casserole, and their color brightens up the mixture. -Jill Evely, Wilmore, Kentucky
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) lima or butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, onion, brown sugar and ketchup. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with bacon. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Uncover; bake 30 minutes longer. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Picnic Bean Casserole in Taste of Home August/September 2003, p33
Reviews for Picnic Bean Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review