Picnic Bars Recipe
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and cocoa; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in eggs. Set aside 1-1/2 cups for topping.
- Press remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes or until set.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine milk and 1 cup of chocolate chips; cook and stir over low heat until melted. Carefully spread over crust. Combine reserved crumb mixture with nuts and remaining chips. Sprinkle over chocolate layer.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until top is set (chips will not look melted). Cool before cutting. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Picnic Bars(6)
Sort By :
Thank you for this recipe, Frank Bee! I beat the eggs. I also greased and floured baking pan! If I recall correctly, I believe I'd used a 12x8" baking pan instead of
a 13x9x2" baking pan! At any rate, i was pleased with this recipe and certainly will keep it in mind to prepare again! As I recall, I chilled the bars to firm them up!
I kept them chilled for at least 15 to 20 minutes before I cut them! Dawn E. Lowenstein
Perfect just the way it is! Huge hit in my family.
I was very disappointed in these bars. I made them for our church picnic and they were hardly touched. The moist center had very little flavor. Taste of Home has never let me down until this recipe. Won't make this again.
If I can't use walnuts, what would be a good substitute? almonds? peanuts?
I made this over the weekend and had to make them again for the girls at work! They were gone in a minute and all had to have the recipe.
More Recipe Collections
- Bar Recipes >
- Chocolate Bar Recipes >
- Chocolate Chip Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Simple Desserts >
- Super Bowl Party Desserts >