- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and cocoa; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in eggs. Set aside 1-1/2 cups for topping.
- Press remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes or until set.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine milk and 1 cup of chocolate chips; cook and stir over low heat until melted. Carefully spread over crust. Combine reserved crumb mixture with nuts and remaining chips. Sprinkle over chocolate layer.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until top is set (chips will not look melted). Cool before cutting. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Picnic Bars
Sort By :
"Really good- we took these to a family reunion and they were gone in no time! I will definitely make again, but probably will increase the amount of cocoa, just because I like things extra chocolatey! :)"
"Oohy goohy delicious and totally bad for you!!!!. Easy to tote anywhere. I omitted the walnuts and put white chocolate chips on. Wonderful treat."
"Thank you for this recipe, Frank Bee! I beat the eggs. I also greased and floured baking pan! If I recall correctly, I believe I'd used a 12x8" baking pan instead ofa 13x9x2" baking pan! At any rate, i was pleased with this recipe and certainly will keep it in mind to prepare again! As I recall, I chilled the bars to firm them up!I kept them chilled for at least 15 to 20 minutes before I cut them! Dawn E. Lowenstein"
"Perfect just the way it is! Huge hit in my family."
"I was very disappointed in these bars. I made them for our church picnic and they were hardly touched. The moist center had very little flavor. Taste of Home has never let me down until this recipe. Won't make this again."