- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and cocoa; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in eggs. Set aside 1-1/2 cups for topping.
- Press remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes or until set.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine milk and 1 cup of chocolate chips; cook and stir over low heat until melted. Carefully spread over crust. Combine reserved crumb mixture with nuts and remaining chips. Sprinkle over chocolate layer.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until top is set (chips will not look melted). Cool before cutting. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Picnic Bars
Sort By :
"These are ooey-gooey and so sweet, they make your cheeks tingle!!! Yummy!!!!!!!!!"
"Really good- we took these to a family reunion and they were gone in no time! I will definitely make again, but probably will increase the amount of cocoa, just because I like things extra chocolatey! :)"
"Oohy goohy delicious and totally bad for you!!!!. Easy to tote anywhere. I omitted the walnuts and put white chocolate chips on. Wonderful treat."
"Thank you for this recipe, Frank Bee! I beat the eggs. I also greased and floured baking pan! If I recall correctly, I believe I'd used a 12x8" baking pan instead ofa 13x9x2" baking pan! At any rate, i was pleased with this recipe and certainly will keep it in mind to prepare again! As I recall, I chilled the bars to firm them up!I kept them chilled for at least 15 to 20 minutes before I cut them! Dawn E. Lowenstein"
"Perfect just the way it is! Huge hit in my family."