Picnic Baked Beans Recipe
I loved it when my mom made these classic beans...now I make them for my family. They have great old-fashioned flavor and are a real crowd-pleaser. I like to make them for potlucks, picnics or as part of a summertime dinner.
- 3 cups dried navy beans
- 4 quarts cold water, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/4 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1. Place beans in a Dutch oven with 2 qts. water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 1 hour.
- 2. Drain and rinse. Return beans to Dutch oven; add remaining water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the beans are almost tender. Drain and reserve liquid.
- 3. Transfer beans to an ungreased 3-qt. baking dish, add the remaining ingredients and 1-1/2 cups of reserved liquid; stir to combine.
- 4. Cover and bake at 300° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until beans are tender and reach desired consistency, stirring every 30 minutes. Add reserved liquid as needed. Yield: 16 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 224 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 670 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC